Miroslav Antić

ANTIC.org-SNN

Mladic’s lawyer says ‘Separate trials would kill defense’

leave a comment »


Mladic’s lawyer says ‘Separate trials would kill defense’

English.news.cn 2011-08-19 06:36:46
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/world/2011-08/19/c_131059125.htm

THE HAGUE, Aug. 18 (Xinhua) — Former Bosnian Serb Army commander Ratko Mladic objects the possibility of dividing his process into two parts, his lawyer Branko Lukic told Xinhua on Thursday.

The attorney was also informed that his client had undergone a successful hernia operation.

Earlier this week the prosecution requested to split the Mladic indictment into two parts and to conduct two separate trials, instead of one trial, at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia (ICTY) in The Hague.

The first trial would deal with the charges related to the 1995 killing in Srebrenica and after this first trial the next one would deal with all of the other charges, such as the crimes during the siege of Sarajevo. The motion is now pending before the trial chamber for decision.

"We will object to that," Mladic’s lawyer told Xinhua. "That will kill the defense. If we want to appeal in the Srebrenica case, the other trial will also start. That will be too much for us, both things at the same time."

On Thursday Lukic had a meeting with judge Alphons Orie and prosecutor Serge Brammertz to discuss the separation of Mladic’s trial.

Mladic is charged with genocide, crimes against humanity and violation of the laws or customs of war during the 1992 to 1995 conflict in Bosnia and Herzegovina. He was captured on May 26 in Serbia and was moved to the UN Detention Unit in The Hague on May 31.

The former general did not enter a plea during his first appearance in court on June 3 and his further first appearance in court on July 4. On Aug. 25 he is due to appear in court again.

His lawyer confirmed that Mladic underwent a successful hernia operation on Wednesday evening.

"I was informed by his family that he was successfully operated in hospital. He is doing well, they said," Lukic explained. "Although the ICTY said that it was not possible he left the detention unit, so maybe he was operated there. I have not spoken to him about it directly, so I don’t know for sure."

Meanwhile, press officer Nerma Jelacic of the ICTY said that "Reports that Mladic is in the Bronovo hospital are inaccurate," adding "I can confirm that he has not left the Scheveningen complex."

"The rules specify that any life threatening situation must immediately be reported to the registrar. No such reports have been received regarding Mladic," she added.

Since leading his defense, Lukic spoke to Mladic five times and he will see him again on Monday. "He is a very ill man," he said once again.

Because of Mladic’s health situation, the prosecution filed the motion to speed up the trial. They want to avoid the same scenario as the case with former Yugoslav president Slobodan Milosevic, who died in his cell at the UN detention unit in 2006 before the final judgement.

Advertisements

Written by Mika

19. avgusta 2011. u 10:09

Objavljeno u Uncategorized

Ostavite odgovor

Popunite detalje ispod ili pritisnite na ikonicu da biste se prijavili:

WordPress.com logo

Komentarišet koristeći svoj WordPress.com nalog. Odjavite se / Promeni )

Slika na Tviteru

Komentarišet koristeći svoj Twitter nalog. Odjavite se / Promeni )

Fejsbukova fotografija

Komentarišet koristeći svoj Facebook nalog. Odjavite se / Promeni )

Google+ photo

Komentarišet koristeći svoj Google+ nalog. Odjavite se / Promeni )

Povezivanje sa %s

%d bloggers like this: